[linux-audio-user] Help setting up linux for high quality music listening via JACK

Ryan Heise ryan at ryanheise.com
Thu Jun 29 10:49:30 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 06:24:04AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Problems with developers trying to maintain packages:
> >
> > - Too many package formats.
> > - Too complicated package formats.
> >
> > But developers should (I think) take on the responsibility to make
> > things easier for users.
>
> Sorry for having created some kind of problem here. Andrew asked. I
> responded. Next time I guess I stay quiet.

Hi Mark, I had to check the archives to see which emails you were
referring to. They are not the ones I was replying to, so there is no
problem in my eyes.

My comments were of a general nature and aimed to contrast the problems
"users" have building packages with the problems "developers" have
building packages. What I hope the two contrasting views show is that
the package systems are the real source of the problem, and it is the
"developers" who can fix it. (Not Aqualung developers, but distribution
developers)

I don't think users should ever have to install -dev packages or compile
source code. And if it were easy for developers to build and release
up-to-date packages, then users wouldn't have to do this.

--
Ryan Heise
http://www.ryanheise.com/