[linux-audio-user] Re: IRQ sharing

Maluvia terakuma at imbris.net
Sun Mar 5 10:38:03 EST 2006

>On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 03:35 -0500, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
>> Old school Linux Audio lore held that it was bad to let your audio card
>> share an IRQ with anything else. Is this a myth, or still good solid
>> practical advice?
>
>It might still have some influence, but nowadays the typical hardware is
>so fast, it doesn't matter like it used to.
>
>I'm getting pretty good latency with no xruns when running jackd with
>real-time priority, despite INT 5 being crowded like hell:

Same here.
We actually had the graphics card and the sound card on IRQ 5 for a long
time with no apparent problems.
(I attributed it to using Xvesa, and the processor speed.)

We finally pulled the card out and moved it around to get it on IRQ 7, but
have not noticed any change in performance - didn't seem to matter at all.
(ymmv)

- Maluvia