[linux-audio-user] GNU Audio Community Conference Room

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Wed Mar 8 16:05:33 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 23:38 +0100, Esben Stien wrote:
> I have. I've sent mail to the kphone-, ekiga- and asterisk- list. The
> iaxcomm client is using portaudio.
>
> The JACK issue with glitch free connection is also a hot issue for
> something like an inet show.
>
> Some of these clients are ALSA capable, so it should be possible to
> use the plug:jack plugin, but I'm having some issues with that and I
> have more to test before I can provide a useful report for my HDSP
> Multiface II and this plugin.

Yeah what would be perfect is a cross platform VOIP app written in a
callback model with ALSA, JACK, OSS, CoreAudio, etc backends.  It seems
like most of the existing apps focus too heavily on the network and GUI
aspects and just hack together the audio part as fast as possible...
even the flagship VOIP app (Skype) has crappy audio support.

I guess the closest thing is something with a gstreamer backend.  What
are the showstoppers with ekiga (formerly gnomemeeting) + JACK?

Lee