[linux-audio-user] Re: Hardware Recommendations

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 21:21:25 EST 2006

On 3/10/06, Stephen Hassard <steve at hassard.net> wrote:
> >> 1) You need a really recent kernel (2.6.16'ish). It'll have the fixed
> >> timer support,
> > i think i  still have to boot with -noapic on Linux a 2.6.16-rc4-git10
> > to avoid weird timer issues, random 'spurius interrupt - nobody cared'
> > crap in dmesg and timer running about twice as fast
>
> The patch that I linked to went into 2.6.16-rc5-bk12 (yesterday's), so
> yeah, that's probably too old. ;)
>
> Even with this, one of the boards I have (RS482) is reporting periodic
> APIC errors, though this doesn't seem to affect the machine's stability.

I get message like APIC error on CPU0: 00(40) sometimes in the log.
Mandriva 2006 x86_64 installs fine on this machine, no boot params
required or anything. However stability seems terrible. It totally
locks up quite often. Memtest says ram is fine. I've heard this occurs
with this board on windows/etc too. Not sure if it's just MSI's RS480
that is this bad or others as well. I currently don't use the nearly
totally useless onboard graphic card at all. No dvi output, bad
drivers and no 3d performance make it a much worse choice than a cheap
nvidia card. Also temp/fan monitoring is a no go. All round, i'm
certainly never touching anything made by them again, both ATI and
MSI, though i'm not sure who's fault it is.

Loki