[linux-audio-user] Re: Hardware Recommendations

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Thu Mar 9 21:42:05 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 13:21 +1100, Loki Davison wrote:
> I get message like APIC error on CPU0: 00(40) sometimes in the log.
> Mandriva 2006 x86_64 installs fine on this machine, no boot params
> required or anything. However stability seems terrible. It totally
> locks up quite often. Memtest says ram is fine. I've heard this occurs
> with this board on windows/etc too. Not sure if it's just MSI's RS480
> that is this bad or others as well. I currently don't use the nearly
> totally useless onboard graphic card at all. No dvi output, bad
> drivers and no 3d performance make it a much worse choice than a cheap
> nvidia card. Also temp/fan monitoring is a no go. All round, i'm
> certainly never touching anything made by them again, both ATI and
> MSI, though i'm not sure who's fault it is.

I suspect the 32 bit drivers would be more stable than the 64 bit ones.

I hope you guys are posting these in the kernel bugzilla or something.
Search for your board in there, there are many bugs with patches that
just need a tester.  ACPI is such a pain in the ass and there are so
many varieties of new hardware that bugzilla is the only reasonable way
to track it.

Really the problem is that vendors these days don't take the time to
verify that their hardware is correct, they just ship it as soon as it
seems to boot and run Windows.  So the line between a hardware bug and a
kernel bug gets blurry...

Lee