[linux-audio-user] Hardware samplers

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Fri Mar 10 13:50:37 EST 2006

Carotinho wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Alle 11:01, venerdì 10 marzo 2006, Cesare Marilungo ha scritto:
>

>>My suggestion is to save your money and give linuxsampler a try.
>>

>But, how can I create my own Gigasamples, or what else are they called? Is
>there only Windows software?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Carotinho

The developement version of swami (http://swami.sourceforge.net/) has
introduced sume basic support for the gigasample format. I've never used
it for this, but I've succesfully produced some custom sf2 samplebanks
with it and used them with fluidsynth (via qsynth,
http://qsynth.sourceforge.net).

If you couple one of the tools above with Pure Data, you can reach an
umbelieveble level of flexibility.

For instance, I'm making a pd patch that is basically a virtual drummer,
with different ranges of random variation, both for timing and for
velocity, routed to linuxsampler with a very good quality drum bank I've
found at http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/ns_kit7freedownload.html

Another patch I'm working on can make a good piano soundbank sound even
more realistic, implementing some of the intrinsicnesses of a real
piano, like the sympathetic vibration of a string when the key is
pressed and I play the same key at an octave above, or the fact that if
I've just hit a key and I hit it again when the hammer hasn't had the
time to go back in the rest position, and so on.

In bocca al lupo.

c.
--
www.cesaremarilungo.com