[linux-audio-user] POLL: Marketing Free Music

Rob lau at kudla.org
Sat Mar 11 14:22:26 EST 2006

On Sat March 11 2006 07:18, James McDermott wrote:
> As for a name, I agree that "web releasing musician" is a bit
> unwieldy, and "PIZZA" and "ECS-files" would require a bit too
> much explanation! "netlabel" is a term that already has some
> currency - could we use that or a variant?

Just as people who publish books on the web are "self-published",
I would describe people who release their music on the web as
"self-released".

Maybe you're looking for a term that differentiates between
people who release exclusively in formats that are intangible
from those who release their own CD's as well (or authors who
get their e-books put on paper through Lulu or CafePress), but I
myself don't think that distinction is necessary.

Rob