[linux-audio-user] Re: Mac? Linux PC?

Rob lau at kudla.org
Sun Mar 12 15:59:28 EST 2006

On Sun March 12 2006 03:56, Loki Davison wrote:
> Some people don't think right for lisp based language. There
> are actually people out there that like j2ee, asp, etc and
> enjoy writing huge amount of code to do very little.

I actually prefer perl, and have started a couple times to try to
come up with a perl module for composition.  My perl chops
aren't good enough to write such a thing, though, and perl's
object syntax is so clumsy that it probably would have sucked
anyway.

For code that I and others are going to have to look at in 6
months or more, yes, I do prefer things like BASIC.  Gambas is
my current favorite for desktop development and I'm slowly
moving from Perl to PHP for web development.  (I gave up on Java
for anything client-side back when the Microsoft JVM was heavily
deployed and ruined everything.)

But I haven't tried to write any music programs in Gambas or PHP,
much less try to come up with a way to compose music in them
directly.  They're both probably too wordy for the
expressiveness required in a music language, but I'd say the
same of Python too.

Anyway, the kind of people who tend to successfully write music
languages tend to be CS people who just love the simplicity (to
a CS major) of Lisp, so I'm resigned to sticking with
applications, and as I said in my original post, they just
aren't the answer for any composer who's not a programmer and
many who are.

Rob