[linux-audio-user] Re: Mac? Linux PC?

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Mon Mar 13 12:01:56 EST 2006

Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> It's power is smalltalk - either visual works or squeak
>> (http://squeak.org/About/)
>>
>> If you are looking into programming languages, look into squeak. See the
>> link above for more than my brief intro here, but also the homepage for
>> info: http://squeak.org/
>>
>> The complete system is open and at your disposal for modifying,
>> inspecting, learning, debugging, creating, etc.
>> Squeak runs on many platforms and the image is bit-identical for all
>> platforms (although there may be some a plugin that only runs on only
>> one or a few platforms - but I don't know of any off hand.)
>>
>> Developers see: http://squeak.org/Features/Development/
>>
>> I'd be happy to answer any questions about squeak.
>>
>> brad
>>
> Brad,
> are you involved in the squeak development? Can I countact you in
> private?
sure. There are multiple mailing lists as well. They are on the site, too.

> Being an old HyperCard fan (wrote a mail reader more than ten years
> ago with it) and then a Director developer and teacher, I'm excited by
> what I've seen.
I think that as you explore you'll find that the environment is rich.

> I've just installed it and started playing but this is awesome.
>
> Is the deployment easy?
you can deploy the image. There are methods available to strip
everything out except what you want in and methods to strip out
development tools or disable them, disable morphic halos, etc. in a
nutshell: if you want to deploy an application it's fairly easy.

> What about the license?
the license is on the site. Note that it is open and freely
distributable. The license is being reviewed as well to make it more
open or to remove some items that are not open (for instance, there are
some fonts from apple included in the image.) I am not a part of the
legal issues so I can't really comment.