[linux-audio-user] uc33 usb midi + midi gear

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sat Mar 18 04:39:59 EST 2006

Hi All,

I am having a perplexing problem with some midi gear. I have a TR-505 drum
machine's midi out connected via midi cable to a uc33 midi controller's
midi in. If I cat /dev/snd/midiC1D0 I get characters printing out
whenever i turn the knobs on the uc33. If I start a beat on the TR-505
I get no characters. If I run puredata I get data from the uc33 coming
in as per normal. but then catting /dev/snd/midiC1D0 does not print
characters when I turn the knobs on the uc33. If I start a beat on the
TR-505 whilst puredata is running I see it output characters in time to
the beat.

So basically while puredata is not running I can see data coming from
the uc33 but not the TR-505. While puredata is running it reads from the
uc33 but not the TR-505 and on the command line I can see data from the
TR-505 but not the uc33.

Anyone know what is going on?

Best regards,

Chris.