[linux-audio-user] uc33 usb midi + midi gear

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Mon Mar 20 05:19:42 EST 2006

Chris McCormick wrote:
> I am having a perplexing problem with some midi gear. I have a TR-505 drum
> machine's midi out connected via midi cable to a uc33 midi controller's
> midi in.

The UC-33 has two MIDI input ports, one for controller data and one for
the external MIDI port.  See "amidi -l".

> If I cat /dev/snd/midiC1D0

Don't do that, this is an internal ALSA file.  If you have to use the
OSS interface, use /dev/midi01.

> I get characters printing out whenever i turn the knobs on the uc33.
> If I start a beat on the TR-505 I get no characters. If I run puredata
> I get data from the uc33 coming in as per normal. but then catting
> /dev/snd/midiC1D0 does not print characters when I turn the knobs on
> the uc33. If I start a beat on the TR-505 whilst puredata is running I
> see it output characters in time to the beat.

Opening the file directly will access the first free port.

If you have a program that does not support ALSA MIDI ports (like PD),
load the snd-virmidi module and use aconnect to connect the UC-33's
second port to a virmidi port; then the second port is available as
/dev/midi0X where X is snd-virmidi's card number.

HTH
Clemens