[linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-user] VxPocket and hotplug - need help getting it working

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Mar 21 06:41:09 EST 2006

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:03:13 +0100,
> Asbjørn Sæbø wrote:

>>>... and there were some bugs in vx driver, too.
>>>
>>>I recommend to update ALSA driver, at least.  Though, I cannot
>>>guarantee that it works with that kernel :)
>>

>>OK, I have installed DeMuDi 1.3.0rc1, which has kernel 2.6.14, and alsa
>>version 1.0.10.
>

> Still way too old to debug...
>

>>I have also downloaded and installed alsa-firmware 1.0.10 (which placed
>>a number of files in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware).
>>
>>The VxPocket card is, however, still not detected.
>>/proc/asound/cards only lists the internal sound card and a modem.
>>Inserting the vxpocket does not causes it to be listed (see below).
>>On the other hand, an Edirol UA-25 usb sound card is detected if I plug
>>it in.
>>
>>Is there anything I need to do that I have forgotten?
>>What would be the next logical thing to check?
>

> IIRC, 2.6.14 had still old type pcmcia stuff.  I have no more advise
> for that version.

This bothers me.

Debian 'stable' still ships with 2.6.8 and ALSA 1.0.8. Asbjørn is using
the most recent A/DeMuDi release, which is a little more up to date.
Most Debian users will have something this old installed. Being told
that these versions are too old to debug is, frankly, not much help.

I fully understand that you are personally developing on the cutting
edge and do not have the time or patience to deal with these sort of
enquiries, however, this reply comes across as unnecessarily offhand.

I would refer Debian users to users at lists.agnula.org or
debian-multimedia at lists.debian.org - I know Asbjørn is already on the
former list at least. Really this is something for Debian-multimedia to
deal with, however there are still issues where we could use information
directly from ALSA developers, where is the right place to ask
ALSA-specific questions if one is using old-but-still-distributed software?

My reasoning behind this point/question is that studios and production
environments are likely to want to run 'stable' distros and Debian is
always going to ship with at least year old software, whether anyone
thinks it's a good idea or not. I would welcome any suggestions as to a
better way of dealing with these issues as I foresee a greater need for
this kind of support and I would like to be able to point users to a
better source of information when these queries come up, which is likely
to become more frequent as Linux Audio gains production stability.

cheers,

tim hall