[linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-user] VxPocket and hotplug - need help getting it working

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Tue Mar 21 15:31:27 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 11:41 +0000, tim hall wrote:
> My reasoning behind this point/question is that studios and production
> environments are likely to want to run 'stable' distros and Debian is
> always going to ship with at least year old software, whether anyone
> thinks it's a good idea or not. I would welcome any suggestions as to
> a better way of dealing with these issues as I foresee a greater need
> for this kind of support and I would like to be able to point users to
> a better source of information when these queries come up, which is
> likely to become more frequent as Linux Audio gains production
> stability.

If you want to run old software but your hardware requires the latest
bug fixes, I don't see any good solution, other than for the distro to
back port bug fixes and new drivers, which Debian/DeMuDi don't seem to
be doing.

If a production environment wants to use a 2-year old kernel they had
better be willing to use 2-year old hardware if they need full driver
support.

Lee