[linux-audio-user] Re: What is currently the best USB audio interface for Linux?

ico ico at vt.edu
Wed Mar 22 07:06:40 EST 2006

>===== Original Message From Loki Davison <loki.davison at gmail.com> =====
>On 3/22/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 22:35 -0500, Dana Olson wrote:
>> > Well, if price is not an issue, I suppose he could pay someone to
>> > engineer a new kind of laptop with removable soundcards, similar to
>> > PCI, but in a more compact fashion, and then he could use those?
>>
>> I think they have that, it's called "PCMCIA" and I completely forgot
>> about it when posting my last message ;-)
>>
>> Lee
>>

>Is there a reason no pcmcia stuff was suggested? it seems in everyway
>much better than usb. All the echo stuff seems well supported. Ranging
>from the echo io to the layla/mona, though they need external power,
>because they are somewhat huge.

Well, actually, I already have a pcmcia RME HDSP multiface, but was looking
for something even more portable in terms of having built-in preamps and
possibly drawing power from a laptop. I must admit that I've been ignorant in
respect to the whole USB-audio scene.

>The mona or layla24 would destroy all compeditors for all listed
>things apart from being usb, and if battery only power is required. It
>has mic and instrument pre's and great fidelity. Also 8 in 8 out plus
>adat is more than anything usb can do. I'd go it for sure if money
>wasn't an issue. http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/

Both Layla24 and Mona have been discontinued:

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/Discontinued/index.php  :-(

Seems like mobile options for Linux audio are dwindling and that
USB2.0/ieee1394 are finally taking over.

I sure hope that FreeBoB guys are close to releasing at least a rough beta
driver soon...

Best wishes,

Ico