[linux-audio-user] Poor sound quality with some music

Martin Kuball martinkuball at web.de
Wed Mar 22 15:38:33 EST 2006

Hi!

I'm using onboard sound with NVidia CK804 chip with the snd_intel8x0
alsa driver and have the problem that some of my music sounds really
bad when played.

Let me give an example. I have a cd with a song I like. It sounds good
when played directly from the CD via the internal audio connector.
Now I rip the song with cdparanoia to a wav file. When I play this
file it sounds realy bad. I don't know how to describe it but I think
it's some kind of droning. When I play the file using my usb audio
device it's sounds fine.

To a certain extent I have this bad quality with a lot of my music
files. But what I notices is that I have never had this with sound in
a video. Now I wonder if this might be some problem with music having
(normally) 44100 Hz sample rate and video sound 48000 Hz. Is this
possible? Maybe even a known problem?

Martin