[linux-audio-user] regarding the 2nd Book Of Linux Music & Sound

Josh Lawrence hardbop200 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 11:24:24 EST 2006

On 3/29/06, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
>   1. Is there a real need for another book such as the The Book Of Linux
> Music & Sound ?

I'll be honest with you:  your first book was the entire reason I got
into Linux in the first place.  However, I think the first book was an
introduction to everything that is out there.  The second addition
should be more HOWTO related, IMHO.  For example, step one would be
recording in ardour.  Step two would be using hydrogen with ardour.
You would work your way up to jack, ardour, hydrogen, a MIDI
sequencer, a synth, and fluidsynth all running at the same time.  This
way you can spend less time discussing how to install applications,
and focus on real-world use of the most commonly accepted ones.

You could add additional sections, such as using vst instruments on
Linux, to make the book more value-added.  Also, it would be nice to
have a whole section on answering the question of how to build a
kernel suitable for multimedia work.

>   2. If so, would I be wise to ignore the 2.4 kernel series ? (It would
> make it easier to ignore material re: OSS/Free)

Yes.

>   3. Would anyone be interested in co-authoring the book ? I've
> considered offering some chapters to certain people on these lists, but
> the issue of reimbursement gets sticky WRT royalties and other
> compensation. I made very little money from the first book, but money
> wasn't the true reward anyway, so perhaps there's a way to turn it into
> a community-based work.

This is a wonderful idea.  You already have the groundwork for such a
book with the quicktoots, you could just expand and clean up.

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com