[linux-audio-user] Making a CD...

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Fri Nov 3 18:42:52 EST 2006

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 18:11:33 -0500
lanas <lanas at securenet.net> wrote:
> There are picked-up by grip for instance as .wav files, but
> are they .wav on a CD ?  If so, can I just put all my .wav files from
> Ardour ina directory, make an ISO image from that, and then burn the
> ISO on a RW CD ?

No, ISO images are data CD formats.  I'd either use a program like
cd-roast or K3B to burn an audio disk, or make a TOC (table of contents)
file and use cdrecord to make the audio disk.

Since you're already familiar with Ardour, this might be of some use:
   http://ardour.org/manual/export/cdtoc

A TOC file is a pretty simple thing that can be done quickly in a
simple text editor if you want.  Here's an example from a project of
mine:

CD_DA
CD_TEXT {
  LANGUAGE_MAP {
    0 : EN
  }
  LANGUAGE 0 {
    TITLE "Big Society 6"
    PERFORMER "Big Society"
    COMPOSER ""
  }
}

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
  LANGUAGE 0 {
     TITLE "Martyr's Life"
     PERFORMER "Big Society"
     COMPOSER "Tom Shields"
  }
}
PREGAP 00:02:00
FILE "/tape/BigSociety/MartyrsLife/MartyrsLife.wav"  0

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
  LANGUAGE 0 {
     TITLE "Dirty"
     PERFORMER "Big Society"
     COMPOSER "Tom Shields"
  }
}
PREGAP 00:02:00
FILE "/tape/BigSociety/Dirty/dirty.wav"  0

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
  LANGUAGE 0 {
     TITLE "Snails On the Move"
     PERFORMER "Big Society"
     COMPOSER "Tom Shields"
  }
}
PREGAP 00:02:00
FILE "/tape/BigSociety/SnailsOnTheMove/SnailsOnTheMove.wav"  0

.... and so on.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com