[linux-audio-user] PC Keyboard questions

David Causse nomoa at wanadoo.fr
Sat Nov 4 12:36:38 EST 2006

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 01:32:18PM +0100, Esben Stien wrote:
> David Causse <nomoa at wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> > I want to be able to make the music evolutive and it's the main
> > reason why I need to activate/desactivate multiple loops.
>
> This is in some way similar to what I'm doing, but I don't need
> precise activation by using my fingers. Let me try to explain:
>
> I'm doing mostly synthesis, but as I'm making hip-hop, it's very much
> loop based. I've made a sequencer in supercollider and I use my MIDI
> controller to activate my different "live" loops.
>
> I always activate loops before they're supposed to start and they
> start exactly where I tell them to start. After that, since it's real
> time synthesis, I manipulate the synths. All synths in the loop are
> bound to their own MIDI control.
>
> All the events in the loop are also bound to individual MIDI control,
> so that I can adjust the timing of each event in the loops
> individually by turning knobs;).
>
> I do all synthesis in supercollider today, but I'm trying very hard to
> do the synthesis in common lisp music and keep the sequencer in
> supercollider. You see, supercollider is about manipulating the graph
> in a music v style, but I need a functional language to do the
> synthesis I want.
>
> I guess this sequencer is somehow what you're looking for?. I don't
> use samples, but there is nothing wrong with triggering samples
> instead of synths in my sequencer.
>
> If you want to trigger the loops yourself, without cheating like I
> do;), maybe get a pad and make what you want in supercollider.

In fact I don't need a new software, I have found the right one
freewheeling acts very well as my looper. I don't do synthesis right
now, I tried to generate sound with computer but I think it's not my
feeling right now, I'm not convinced by the sound I make :)

Also I don't want to purchase midi controllers fwheeling can do well
with PC keyboard and I want to investigate more with this. Why not just
making music with a live CD, go everywhere and plug your live cd into a
friend computer and play :). Like a MC with a MD player.

And I don't understand this phrase "You see, supercollider is about
manipulating the graph in a music v style", what is music v style?

Have you ever heard about french hip-hop band named TTC? You may want
have look at their dj :)

Thank you,

David.