[linux-audio-user] Midi Woes

Chip VanDan chip.vandan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 14:50:44 EST 2006

Okay, I know this question comes up way too often, but I've been
struggling with this for years and for some reason have never been
able to accomplish this, let alone grasp it.

I have a Yamaha Clavinova CLP930 that I wish to use as a MIDI
controller for my computer.  Basically I want to be able to play MIDI
events to things like Swami or amSynth through Jack from the
Clavinova.  I have an old-style MIDI cable, one with a joystick plug
on the end and a MIDI in and a MIDI out on the other end, which to the
best of my knowledge is hooked up properly.  My system is Fedora Core
3 with Planet CCRMA packages and the RDT (?) kernel working properly
as far as I know.  Now if there is a better distribution to be using
for this let me know because I plan on getting a new hard drive soon.
I've tried quite a variety and have recently settled on Fedora.

Now when I start Jack up I get an error that claims Jack wasn't able
to connect to the sequencer.  I can close Jack and if I type
/sbin/modprobe snd_seq, Jack won't give me this error.  I can also
load snd_mpu401uart, but this doesn't seem to have any effect.  When I
try to load snd_mpu401 it gives me an error as follows:

FATAL: Error inserting snd_mpu401
(/lib/modules/2.6.11-0.3.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma/updates/drivers/mpu401/snd-mpu401.ko):
No such device

I'm not quite sure what to do about that, but as it stands when I
start Jack now I only have the MIDI Through port listed in my
connections and I'm pretty sure that MPU401 is supposed to be listed.
I can play to all of my MIDI based programs (amSynth and Swami) with
the Virtual Keyboard, and I've tried using Kmidimon to see if any
events are coming across from the Clavinova, there's nothing.

As you can probably tell, I've struggled trying to figure this out for
a while, and still have barely anything.  I just don't get the right
feel off of Virtual Keyboard to actually perform.  If anybody could
explain this process I promise to make an in-depth howto because I
keep seeing these sorts of questions, but nobody seems to cover
everything (probably because there's a lot to cover).  For reference
purposes, because I know somebody will ask for it, I've added my
output of /sbin/lsmod at the bottom of this email.

Chip

Module                  Size  Used by
snd_seq_dummy           4100  0
realtime                5128  0
commoncap               8064  1 realtime
snd_seq                76816  5 snd_seq_dummy
snd_seq_device          9740  2 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq
parport_pc             29380  1
lp                     12780  0
parport                42440  2 parport_pc,lp
autofs4                28932  0
sunrpc                186724  1
ipt_REJECT              7168  1
ipt_state               1792  2
ip_conntrack           45748  1 ipt_state
iptable_filter          3584  1
ip_tables              18944  3 ipt_REJECT,ipt_state,iptable_filter
md5                     4096  1
ipv6                  284864  8
usblp                  13184  0
ohci1394               39812  0
ieee1394              314580  1 ohci1394
uhci_hcd               36368  0
i2c_i801                8460  0
i2c_core               23040  1 i2c_i801
snd_intel8x0           36032  3
snd_ac97_codec         81784  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm_oss            65312  0
snd_mixer_oss          21760  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm               124296  5 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              38276  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    76164  15
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              11360  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         10884  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
e100                   50816  0
mii                     5120  1 e100
floppy                 66992  0
dm_snapshot            18628  0
dm_zero                 2432  0
dm_mirror              27884  2
ext3                  135560  2
jbd                    92184  1 ext3
dm_mod                 64148  6 dm_snapshot,dm_zero,dm_mirror