[linux-audio-user] Fretless Dobro Bass Distortion

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sat Nov 4 23:09:16 EST 2006

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 10:32:34PM -0500, chaz kiser wrote:
> I'm recording my fretless dobro bass via Audacity.  I noticed this
> program came coupled with many plug-in's and effects (I'm running
> Agnula, DeMUDI) but I dont' readily see one for distortion or bass
> distortion.
>
> I would like to get my bass super distorted.  Much like the guitar in
> "Spirt in the Sky" by Norm Greenbaum.  I want a warm, extremely fuzzy
> distortion on my fretless dobro.  I think that would give the song I'm
> working on a very cool sound.  I'd rather record it dry and add the
> distortion later.
>
> any suggetions?

I'd start with the CAPS plugins, http://quitte.de/dsp/caps.html
maybe Amp V set for very high gain, followed by Cabinet II to warm it
up and tame the excessive highs.

If that's too "amp-like" and not fuzzy enough for you, look at the various
distortions in the SWH ladspa set.
http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa-swh/docs/ladspa-swh.html

Pre-EQ also makes a huge difference in distortion character.
More bass on the input = more of a "fuzz" sound.
Less bass and more treble = more of a biting "distortion" effect.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com