[linux-audio-user] Re: The famous "Jack Hum" (Can't record and desparate)

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Fri Nov 10 14:20:26 EST 2006

Carlo Capocasa wrote:

>>Methinks there is Somewheres (note the forced plural!) in your hardware
>>setup one or more pieces with bad shielding and/or bad grounding. The
>>problems might not be limited to cabling - they could be something
>>inside your hardware.
>>

>Me thinksesss this beesss precioussss advicessssss.
>

>>A possible candidate - your fireware audio interface w/ microphone
>>pre-amp. It may be originating the hum in the first place, and the mic
>>pre-amp makes it really loud.
>>

>I have the same problem going over the internal sound card, and it is
>more intense there. The odd part is, the lower the latency, the more
>intense the hum; and even weirder, I CAN EVEN HEAR THE HUM WHEN THE
>COMPUTER IS HOOKED UP TO SPEAKERS THAT ARE TURNED OFF. So you can
>actually hear the hum; it's just that whatever sound adapter is hooked
>up, firewire or interal, amplifies it.
>
>First I thought it was hard drive noise; but I tried putting Jack's
>tempfiles on a ram disk and that had no effect.
>
>Could it actually be that the CPU itself is causing electromagnetic
>effects because it has to work so hard?

I think it could be the cpu fan. If you've an AMD with Cool 'n Quiet (or
something similar) the fan adjust its speed according to the cpu usage.
Have you tried to experiment with the pc chassis opened?

Hope this helps.

c.

--
www.cesaremarilungo.com

On the Internet, no one knows you're using Windows NT
        -- Submitted by Ramiro Estrugo, restrugo at fateware.com