[linux-audio-user] Re: The famous "Jack Hum" (Can't record and desparate)

Carlo Capocasa capocasa at gmx.net
Sun Nov 12 15:35:00 EST 2006

> I think it could be the cpu fan. If you've an AMD with Cool 'n Quiet (or
> something similar) the fan adjust its speed according to the cpu usage.
> Have you tried to experiment with the pc chassis opened?

Thanks for caring, Cesare. It's a notebook, but I'll just do it anyway.
I already did a little while back to put some thermal paste on the CPU
when I was having the Dell Heatwaves a little while back.

I also found a CPU cooling management tool for dell books a while bac
(i8k), but that won't wrestle thermal control out of the Dell Bios' evil
hands. It will only argue (IE Bios will turn fans on, a millisecond
later the tool will turn it off, etc.)

I'll probably also look into the Open Source bios project to see if I
can flash my notebook bios with something new, possibly
custom-developed. I'm so desperate to get a working solution out of my
old book I'll do just about ANYTHING.

Carlo