[linux-audio-user] Wanted: Singing Capacitor Fix (was: blaming Jack)

Carlo Capocasa capocasa at gmx.net
Mon Nov 13 11:11:22 EST 2006

As always when blaming someone it turns out this has absolutely nothing
to do with the supposed culprit. Apparently, my lower-end Dell notebook
has a singing capacitor, which gets induced by the jack daemon calling
an interrupt, as indicated by the frequency of the noise problem
correlating to the jack buffer size. Interestingly, the noise is not
audible when the system is under some load.

My current approach is to find a load generator that will place a little
load on the system to make the hum go away while still leaving some room
for softsynths.

The next best approach is replacing the darn thing.

Of course, a kernel based fix would be, how should I say, shmoozy.

Carlo