[linux-audio-user] FC2->Fc3->Fc4->Fc5->FC6->FC*: it's crazy!

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Wed Nov 15 08:57:09 EST 2006

I use Fedora/Planet CCRMA in the studio.  Being a long-time RedHat user,
I know upgrades are fraught with peril.

I partition my system in such a way that I can boot multiple versions
of Fedora (I currently have 3), and have a minimal home directory that
I replicate to each instance, so any Gnome settings that might change
from one version to another don't propogate in a way that precludes
my dropping back to an older version.

Is this a pain?  Not for me, I find it pretty flexible.  It's been a
great butt-saver for me, too.  A while back, I installed whatever the
latest FC/PC release was, and had awful performance in Jack and Ardour.
This was 2 days before I had someone coming in from out of state to
do some recording.  I trouble-shot as long as I could without success,
and a few hours before the session, threw in the towel and booted to the
previous version, which had been running rock-solid for me.  The session
went without a hitch, and afterwards, it took me about 15 minutes to
resolve the issue, which as I recall had something to do with IRQs.

I wouldn't do it any other way, even if I was using a distribution that
was a lot easier to upgrade, because Murphy's always looking over my
shoulder, and an upgrade that had always just worked is sure to fail
at the most inopportune time.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com