[linux-audio-user] FC2->Fc3->Fc4->Fc5->FC6->FC*: it's crazy!

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 10:17:44 EST 2006

My, aren't you opinionated about how I should spend my time.

On 11/15/06, Dubphil <dubphil at free.fr> wrote:
> > Mark Knecht wrote:
> > and then you compile most everything (in my case Xorg, Gnome, Firefox)
> you want to run.
>
> You should not compile Firefox, just use  firefox-bin, it is often updated
> and it take a lot of time to build.

I don't care actually. I use both firefox & firefox-bin for different
things. (Java issues mostly) Both are on my system.

> You should not use Gnome for your DAW compilation time is to big and with
> a lighter window manager you will have better result with your audio stuff
> (I use window maker).

I've been running Jack at 64/2 under Gnome for probably 6-12 months
without an xrun. How much better might you suggest it could get?

If your machine cannot run jack at 64/2 running Gnome then possibly
there is something you need to improve. I have no problems here
running Gnome, KDE, fluxbox or fvwm. All work great. Jack works great.

> Xorg use a huge time to build, but hopefully it is not often updated.

True, but since Brad was asking about other distros I felt it relavant
to talk about what it's *really* like to get Gentoo up and running the
first time. If he was to try it out, having been a long-time Fedora
Core user, and if he was unprepared for the initial time sink to get
it really working, then he might be disappointed.

I do agree that it's reasonable to build something light like fluxbox
as an initial X environment. If that's all you want then that's all
you have to build. That way the machine is usable prior to building
the whole Gnome type monster environment. However my experience says
there is no reason to worry about Gnome these days if that's an
environment you want to run. Works great here.

> I usually upgrade my Gentoo every month during my sleep.

If it's done in your sleep then how do you make choices about what to install?

I do my upgrades during the day in a background screen session while
I'm using my Gentoo box. Typically I update things here about once a
week but hold off large upgrades, like Gnome-2.14 to 2.16 until a
weekend when I'm not that busy.

Anyway, Gentoo is about choice. We all get to choose what works best
for us. No reason for you to take such a strident position telling me
that I shouldn't do something. The world is fine no matter which way
someone does all this stuff.

- Mark