[linux-audio-user] RE: Interview with EnergyXT Developer

Rob lau at kudla.org
Sun Nov 19 14:07:44 EST 2006

On Sunday 19 November 2006 04:39, carmen wrote:
> > I think it boils down to vst plugin developers not having
> > much interest in linux audio.
>
> oddly they were into BeOS (steinborg at least) when it had 5
> users, but not Linux when it has what, 3% of the global
> desktop market? does anyone have any recent ubuntu

Step into a proprietary software maker's shoes for a second and
think back to when BeOS appeared to be relevant.

BeOS, at the time, was hyped to non-technical people as "the next
Mac", and those 5 people who bought Beboxen demonstrated an
eagerness to buy high-margin, big-ticket,
so-called "professional" software.

Linux, successful as it is, is hyped to non-technical people
as "the cheap alternative", and those millions of desktop users
have demonstrated an eagerness to post on message boards about
how overpriced software is and to write their own free
knockoffs.

I fall into the latter category myself, and in fact,

> if im paying $45, id like the source with it thanks :)

so do you.  But I totally understand why the Steinbergs of the
world (not to mention the Adobes, etc.) still target Windows
users.  It's those three little words that mean so
much:  "They'll buy ANYTHING."

Rob