[linux-audio-user] Re: Software recommendation

Robert Jonsson rj at spamatica.se
Wed Nov 29 16:00:54 EST 2006

Hi Yves,

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 11:39, Yves Potin wrote:
> Le 29 Nov à 10:52, rj at spamatica.se ecrivait:
>
> [Access to controllers]
>
> > Could you give some example?
>
>         Yes. I'd like to add, even manually, any kind of controller from
> inside the piano roll. Actually (version 0.8.1a), for example with pitch
> bend, if I click on the ctrl button, then Sel, all I see is Velocity, pan,
> program and main volume, and a button to add a new controller. If I choose
> this one, I have never found how to specify that I want the sustain pedal,
> the modulation or the pitch bend, or whatever. The only trick I've found
> to insert a pitch bend event manually is to record some pitch events on
> the part to see, then, the pitch events appear on the « Sel » menu with
> the little green light lit.
>         The Crtl button available on the list panel behaves the same, if
> I click on « create new controller », none is available.

Ok, I understand your problem. Partially I think this a question of missing
documentation and tutorials. :-/

MusE relies on it's instrument definition files (IDF) to figure out what
controllers are available for a given instrument. If you define an IDF file
for your instrument, or try one of the existing files, for example if your
synth is GM compatible use that and the relevant controllers should appear.

The drawback with this approach is that it does not work very well with
instruments that can redefine their controllers, e.g. modular synths. But as
you have discovered MusE understands and can edit an existing controller
outside the IDF definition, hence it should be possible to add support for
arbitrary controllers.

> [Manipulate the parts]
>
> > Could you give som examples of what you mean?
>
>         Yes :). I'm talking about the « Structure » menu. I'd like to
> insert four bars between bar 16 and 17, and find exactly the song I had
> before, with a white space between these bars (or the parts more longer
> with an empty space in them). And also the possibility to suppress all
> that is between bar 32 and 36, to find everything that was beyond bar 36
> pasted after bar 32.

Ok. Interesting idea. Please do submit it as a feature request to the tracker.

> And finally being sure to move (or copy) any number
> of parts manually (not with the keyboards shortcuts) *in a really reliable
> way*, especially if these parts are the last ones of the song (and the same
> thing on an editor, when the notes are the last ones of the whole track,
> because of a long time known bug AFAIK).

Some small bell tingles but I cannot place it what the exact problem is,
memory is not what it used to be ...
Is there a tracker item for this?

>         This being said, I keep on saying that MuSE remains for me the
> really best sequencer available in the Linux world, after having testing
> others intensively.

:)

Regards,
Robert