[linux-audio-user] Low-budged live recording hardware solution ?

Wade Nelson hollywoodb at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 01:22:53 EDT 2006

I use Fedora Core 5 + Planet CCRMA to record live audio into my PC... I
generally only send line-level and mic-level into my onboard nforce3
soundcard. Unfortunately its a noisy card.

What I'm looking for, ideally, will be a card with:
XLR input mic level inputs
Line level inputs
high-impedance instrument-level inputs (not necessary, but would be
nice)
5.1 output (doesn't need to be spdif)

I don't currently need any MIDI capability, optical in/out, or anything
too fancy. I'm not against these by any means, as they may become useful
down the road. I realise my chances of getting a XLR input are slim as
well.

Most importantly I want a card that is fully supported under linux with
high-quality recording capability with as little noice and fuss as
possible. I'm quite picky about that.

I've been looking at M-Audio Delta 1010LT, which would do everything I
need, and more. Its about $200 and I was really hoping to spend a bit
less than that. Also, I'd like to know if all the features of the Delta
1010LT are supported by ALSA. I've read about people who think its great
and people who couldn't get it to work properly, I'd like to hear from
someone who has used the various inputs for recording purposes.

I was also looking at the Roland/Edirol UA-20, I'd like to hear some
about these, as they seem to have decent linux support as well.

Something like a Yamaha MW-10 would be awesome, but I do need linux
support, afaik there is none for that device.