[linux-audio-user] Native Linux VST plugins finally?

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Oct 6 22:45:44 EDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 11:30:35AM -0400, Rob wrote:
> On Thursday 05 October 2006 07:26, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > >There will never be native Linux VST plugins, VST has a
> > > non-free license.
> > A little hope never hurts. Ico is now trying to lobby
> > Yamaha/Steinberg into a license change to make it more
> > favorable to FOSS development.
>
> I certainly would appreciate GPL/LGPL plugins, but why wouldn't
> someone trying to develop a Linux plugin use LADSPA?

Hi Rob,

They might want users of other operating systems to be able to use their
plugin in any software they like, including a GPL Windows audio
application.

Actually, I have a question about that. If person A made a VST that
was GPL, and person B loaded it into a proprietary audio app, wouldn't
it technically have to be GPL in order to dynamically link in the GPL
plugin? This seems to me to be a bit like binary blobs in the kernel.

Best regards,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx