[linux-audio-user] Re: Native Linux VST plugins finally?

Björn Lindström bkhl at elektrubadur.se
Sat Oct 7 03:03:20 EDT 2006

Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx>:

> Actually, I have a question about that. If person A made a VST that
> was GPL, and person B loaded it into a proprietary audio app,
> wouldn't it technically have to be GPL in order to dynamically link
> in the GPL plugin? This seems to me to be a bit like binary blobs in
> the kernel.

The GPL is very clear on that it doesn't restrict you from _running_
the program in any way you want.

That is, person A gave person B the plug-in under a license that
allows person B to run it however he wants, and he does - end of
story.

(Trouble might begin if person be ships along the plug-in as part of a
software package which is not it self GPL or at least Free Software,
but that's a different and much more complicated issue.)