[linux-audio-user] flash 9 beta

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Oct 19 21:39:43 EDT 2006

Rob wrote:
> On Thursday 19 October 2006 21:01, Cesare Marilungo wrote:
>> Regarding flash content creation on linux there's also this:
>> http://ming.sourceforge.net/
>
> Yeah, there are a number of flash creation options under Linux
> (ming, OpenLaszlo, swfc, and a bunch of early-alpha IDE's like
> Flame Project and UIRA.... not to mention OpenOffice, if you
> don't need to do anything fancy).

Hmmm, now those are interesting!

> But until recently, there's
> been no viable way to play Flash unless you downloaded Adobe's
> pretty lame Flash 7 plugin.  Now Gnash is almost usable

A friend of mine describes the current version of Gnash as a "crash the
gui, crash the X server" application and says "Give it another year."

> and
> Flash 9 is in beta, available as a standalone player, and less
> sucky than Flash 7.
>
> I'm pretty sure we have the pressure of Gnash to thank for the
> availability of that Flash 9 beta.

And the increased press that Linux is getting, combined with the fact
that Flash gives creators of Flash files the ability to get back
detailed usage stats. So the more times they see the Linux version of
the Flash player in use, the more likely THEY (paying Adobe customers)
to encourage Adobe to support Linux users. Another factor may be that
they may be able to piggyback on development for the Mac OS X to help
build the Linux version. And the graphic-arts-heavy Mac community has
thoroughly fallen in love with Flash ...

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community