[linux-audio-user] Re: flash 9 beta

Paul set at pobox.com
Fri Oct 20 01:27:04 EDT 2006

Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com>, on Thu Oct 19, 2006 [12:32:24 PM] said:
> On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 11:45 -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> > finally!
> > http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer9/
> > seems to work here with firefox 1.5.0.7.
> >
> > *much* better sound synchronization - i can finally watch stuff on
> > youtube without screaming in frustration.
> >

> ARRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!  On my 600Mhz machine (which plays big divx
> DVD and HDTV rips perfectly in full screen mode) I get at MOST 1 FPS.
> Most YouTube videos never play - the red bar fills up, I see the first
> frame, and can fast forward and rewind, but the video behaves as if it's
> always paused.
>

> Guess I'll have to go back to Windows if I want to use this new &
> improved proprietary multimedia Internet... sigh... it was fun while it
> lasted.
>
> Lee

	Hi;

	I can appreciate your frustration... flash is evil.
	Flash9 player  definiately doesnt perform as well as
mplayer (when mplayerplug-in works for flash video) but on my
400mhz machine, it works, just with a poor framerate. (this
machine can play full screen dvd video with no frame drop with
mplayer/xine... it barely eeks by a livable framerate in a tiny
window with the flash player...)
	I havent found anything flash9 cant play (badly, albiet
with good audio sync) on my gentoo system.

Paul
set at pobox.com

ot:
	Google Video has a lot of interesting content, and you can
just disable flash and download most of it in avi containters of mp4.
There are probably greasemonkey scripts to stream it to mplayerplug-in
like there are for youtube.
	http://stage6.divx.com/
Has the best interface Ive seen yet, but they just got started building
content. Presents one button to stream to mplayerplug-in and one button
to download.

	In my experience, most of the crap that makes things like
youtube so popular is, well crap. google.video.com has lots of
radical (political, cultural) stuff, and feature length stuff,
like movies and their 'google tech talks' and the avi's are so
much better on this platform than flash. Most people that dont
have 3rd world hardware like us will probably be fine with the
'proprietary multimedia Internet' and their 30 second mentos+coke
jizzfests with the flash9 player. And the people looking for longer
quality content are probably paying for it, or getting it off the
darknet...