[linux-audio-user] flash 9 beta

Robert Persson ireneshusband at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 04:04:11 EDT 2006

Lee Revell wrote:
> ARRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!  On my 600Mhz machine (which plays big divx
> DVD and HDTV rips perfectly in full screen mode) I get at MOST 1 FPS.
> Most YouTube videos never play - the red bar fills up, I see the first
> frame, and can fast forward and rewind, but the video behaves as if it's
> always paused.
>

> Guess I'll have to go back to Windows if I want to use this new &
> improved proprietary multimedia Internet... sigh... it was fun while it
> lasted.

I tried YouTube once and I was massively unimpressed, both by the
technical problems and by the total lack of anything worth watching.

I have been much more impressed with Democracy Player --
http://www.getdemocracy.com. It's GPL for a start and works fine with
Linux. You download movies by podcast or bittorrent rather than watching
live feeds, so if you are prepared to wait a few minutes for something
worth watching rather than getting instant crap then it will probably
suit you better than The Services Everyone Else Uses. Highlights for me
so far have been some shorts about censorship (e.g. "Eyes on the Fair
Use Prize"), the music video of Scott Walker's "Jesse",  and some
extended footage of a baby panda called Tai Shan beating up his mother.
You'd need to rummage for them, but they are there somewhere. All in
full screen of course. And you can save movies permanently if you like.
And you can use it for your audio podcasts as well.

Robert