[linux-audio-user] E17 - our choice of WM in the future?

David Causse nomoa at wanadoo.fr
Thu Oct 26 06:29:59 EDT 2006

carmen wrote:
>> the e17 default theme is pretty damn ugly, however. and unless you want to spend 6 months learning how to compress .edje files into .ewz and then pack them into .eapp containers so .ebjx can load them, instead of say making music or using a window manager that doesnt take 106 MB of RAM, you probably cant make a better theme..
>>

> although i made up some of those .eformats, similarly named ones do exist, and the RAM part is no lie. lat time i built it a few months ago, it took precisely 100 times as much RAM as the WM i'm currently using..

It's too early to talk about e17, I've been very confused about e17
binary file format, but it starts to be usuable with graphical front-end
to edit everything. But please don't forget it's still experimental, you
can't say today, ardour2 is a bunch of bug and memory leaks, it's out of
context.
e17 is like ardour2 you can see that it will be a very good app in the
future.

About the mem usage you was not lucky, e17 consumes 22m with latest e17
source code (and I can't remember of such mem usage in the past).

e17 is light, *smooth* and very responsive, IMHO look&*feel* is very
important, e17 is very good at perf VS. feel.

It's just a matter of taste here but please don't argue with perf
argument with e17.