[linux-audio-user] Vocals

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Oct 31 05:40:21 EST 2006

On Monday 30 October 2006 21:14, Atte André Jensen was like:
> tim hall wrote:
> > My first thought was: Get someone else to sing them
> > My second thought was: Take singing lessons
>
> If you read the second post, the problem is a totally different one. The
> poster is a good singer that is comfortable with his sound, but for
> other reasons (sounds too much like another person in the commercial)
> needs to sound like someone else.

Yeah, I realise that now. My response was unnecessarily offhand due to the
vagueness of the initial question. Usually dumb answers prompt clearer
questions or persuade someone more knowledgeable to jump in and rescue the
original poster. Which seems to have been the case. ;)

> I don't know how to do it technically, but recording at a slightly lower
> or higher pitch and using pitch shifting to get back in pitch when
> played back at correct speed, might be a solution. If done
> just a bit (maybe 1-4 semitones) it might do the trick.
>
> Another approach would be to analyze what is too similar with the
> "candidate". Maybe stuff like pronouncation of certain characteristic
> consonants could be consciously altered to differentiate yourself a bit.

I find vowel sounds make the greatest difference. This is more a question of
acquiring acting skills than singing skills then. In this instance avoiding
hamminess and insincerity might be the thing that really makes this piece
stand out from the crowd. I still think that taking an honest and
straightforward approach to the vocals might benefit Chaz more. The voice is
the primary means of making personal, emotional communication. People can be
attracted or put off by all sorts of subtle details. I'm a great fan of
singing in one's native accent, Bob Dylan and David Bowie et al. didn't do so
badly out of it.

Anyway, just my 0.02
--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim
We are the people We've been waiting for.