[linux-audio-user] Re: flatwounds & JJ Cale

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Thu Sep 7 07:10:32 EDT 2006

Jan Depner wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 10:53 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
>

>>Cale's okay, not nearly so good a writer as Willis Alan Ramsey, but okay
>>for pop.
>>

>    I beg to differ.  At least as far as the Naturally album is
>concerned.  Everything on there is great.

He just doesn't reach me. Are you familiar with Willis Alan ?

[re: Mayall]

>    Mayall lost me when he said he never practiced harp playing.  It's
>pretty obvious too ;-)

Still, I have to respect him. He dedicated his life to blues music at a
time when that wasn't a sure thing in the music world.

Now everyone's a blues player, no experience necessary. Note that there
are damned few decent white blues *singers*, most aren't even as good
(?) as Mayall.

>>If you want to hear some core blues try Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, or
>>Sonny Boy Williamson, especially the old Chess material. If you want to
>>go deeper, get the complete Blind Willie Johnson. (Apologies if you're
>>already aware of this stuff).
>>

>    I prefer Robert Pete Williams, RL Burnside, and Son Thomas.  But the
>players you mentioned are good too. ;-)

You think so ? :)

I'm looking forward to the next local blues fest (Soulshine), Byron Lee
is playing. Daniel Ballinger is headlining, I don't think he's much of a
bluesman but he does know how to get a house rocking.

Robert Pete, eh ? I have all his stuff, he's truly extraordinary. Saw RL
Burnside a few years ago, he was fine too. Alas, I haven't time to keep
up on the current crop of bluesman, white or otherwise, so I tend to
revert to the classics whenever I want to listen to core stuff.

Best,

dp