[linux-audio-user] Re: flatwounds & JJ Cale

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sat Sep 9 02:32:56 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 07:10 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Jan Depner wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 10:53 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> >

> >>Cale's okay, not nearly so good a writer as Willis Alan Ramsey, but okay
> >>for pop.
> >>

> >    I beg to differ.  At least as far as the Naturally album is
> >concerned.  Everything on there is great.
> >

> He just doesn't reach me. Are you familiar with Willis Alan ?

    Nope.  I'll look him up on allofmp3.com when it comes back up ;-)
Part of the reason that I like JJ Cale may be connected with the fact
that I first heard him on my first surfing trip to Cape Hatteras.  There
are a lot of good memories associated with that trip.  On the other
hand, I really like his laid back style on Naturally.  Clyde, Magnolia,
Call Me The Breeze, After Midnight.  He's probably Eric Clapton's
favorite songwriter since he's covered at least two of his songs (After
Midnight and Cocaine).  It's interesting to compare his original version
of After Midnight to Clapton's cover.  Same thing with Call Me The
Breeze compared to Lynyrd Skynyrd's cover.

> [re: Mayall]
>
> >    Mayall lost me when he said he never practiced harp playing.  It's
> >pretty obvious too ;-)
> >

> Still, I have to respect him. He dedicated his life to blues music at a
> time when that wasn't a sure thing in the music world.
>
> Now everyone's a blues player, no experience necessary. Note that there
> are damned few decent white blues *singers*, most aren't even as good
> (?) as Mayall.

    It's not blues but have you listened to James Hunter?  He's a "new"
guy out of England.  R&B.  Sounds just like Sam Cooke.  I don't normally
buy music (I hate the RIAA) but I bought his CD (he's on Rounder so
there's no RIAA connection).

> >>If you want to hear some core blues try Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, or
> >>Sonny Boy Williamson, especially the old Chess material. If you want to
> >>go deeper, get the complete Blind Willie Johnson. (Apologies if you're
> >>already aware of this stuff).
> >>

> >    I prefer Robert Pete Williams, RL Burnside, and Son Thomas.  But the
> >players you mentioned are good too. ;-)
> >
> You think so ? :)
>
> I'm looking forward to the next local blues fest (Soulshine), Byron Lee
> is playing. Daniel Ballinger is headlining, I don't think he's much of a
> bluesman but he does know how to get a house rocking.
>
> Robert Pete, eh ? I have all his stuff, he's truly extraordinary. Saw RL
> Burnside a few years ago, he was fine too. Alas, I haven't time to keep
> up on the current crop of bluesman, white or otherwise, so I tend to
> revert to the classics whenever I want to listen to core stuff.

    I got to listen and talk to RL and Robert Pete Williams in 1980 at
the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.  A friend of mine grew up in
Leland MS and knew RL.  My sharpest memory of the event is RL and my
friend standing behind RLs Cadillac taking a leak on the tires ;-)

Jan

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744