[linux-audio-user] Multiple sound interfaces, ALSA order detection

Jerome Tuncer columbiatwo at free.fr
Fri Sep 8 14:37:28 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this has been dealt with before but I can't seem to find
anything about it...

I have two sound interfaces in my Debian unstable PC box: one being the
motherboard (ASUS P4P800SE) chipset's (Intel ICH5) and the other a M
Audio Delta 66.

I want to be able to use both, the internal for mp3 playback/plain music
listening and the Delta for music making (mainly Pure Data). I created
aliases for the interfaces (in /etc/asound.conf) as indicated in Alsa's
website docs:

	pcm.!default {
         	type hw
	        card 0
	}

	ctl.!default {
	        type hw
         card 0
	}

	pcm.ICH5 {
	        type hw
	        card 1
         device 0
	}

	pcm.Delta66 {
         	type hw
	        card 0
	        device 0
	}

The remaining problem is that everytime I reboot, the order of the hw:0
and hw:1 is sometimes swapped i.e. one day hw:0 will be the ICH5 and the
next day could be that the Delta is detected as hw:0.

What do I have to do so that one order is preserved upon
reboot/re-detection of the interfaces?

++

Jé