[linux-audio-user] Intel Dual Core vs. AMD64

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Tue Sep 12 12:41:18 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 11:29 -0500, Chris Abbott wrote:
> Found these articles on the net. Of course some of the benchmarks aren't
> that reliable, due to the fact of how software is compiled, compile
> flags in Gentoo, and options passed to that program when ran.
>
> AMD 64-bit vs. Intel 64-bit
> http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/24/1747228&mode=thread
>
> AMD 64-bit Dual Core Benchmarks
> http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/19/1625246
>
> I couldn't find any information on the duo on linuxhardware.org, but I
> may not have looked deep enough. Just remember, like sound
> equipment(especially speakers), compare before buying.

Pentium-4 EE's are so old school.

While these benchmarks are not done on Linux, this is the current state
of ye olde AMD vs Intel competition:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/14/core2_duo_knocks_out_athlon_64/

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=832&cid=1

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/core2/index.x?pg=1

The bottom line: Core 2 Duo beats anything AMD can offer. Even the more
cheaper not top-of-the-line Core 2 Duo processors kill the fastest AMD
processors in most cases. Oh, and the AMD processors use almost twice
the energy of a Core 2 Duo.

Though. All of this will change eventually, of course. :)

  Sampo