[linux-audio-user] Re: songs /songs/ </songs>

Fons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Sun Sep 17 17:45:28 EDT 2006

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 08:12:57PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:

> Yep, JAPA is great. I use it to calibrate PA's here.

I'm flattered :-)

> But more and more
> I learn not to rely on this apps and visualizers, because you will
> listen to the music and not see it. ;-)
> And a straight line in JAPA doesn't really tell you wether the bass
> (as an instrument) is to loud or that some frequencies from the guitar
> are to loud while it still fits into a linear spectrum of your
> music...

I agree 100% with this. Mixing should be done 'by ear' and nothing else.
The only danger is that it takes very little time to get used to a bad
spectral balance or some particular coloration, and almost always turning
some filter gain up _seems_ to improve things. It takes some training
or experience to avoid falling in this trap.

Cheers,

--
FA

Lascia la spina, cogli la rosa.