[linux-audio-user] autotune in ardour

Spencer Russell slothlove at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 17:08:32 EDT 2006

On 9/18/06, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well (as I mentioned) I've never used any autotune, but was hoping for a
> magical "make my singing in tune" plugin. I'm affraid too much efford
> won't be worth it, since we're strictly talking demoing a melody for
> real singer to record...

A while ago I was thinking of the best way to implement some sort of
autotune-like program, and this is what I came up with:

The user would import the sound file in question, and the program
would display a spectrogram (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Spectrogram_of_violin.png ) with
horizontal lines superimposed that indicate the frequencies of the
equal-tempered 12 half-step scale that most of us are used to. Then
the user could easily add points to define an automation curve like in
Ardour, and see in real time how it effects the spectrogram, to line
up the fundemental frequency peaks with the right notes. Then they
just export the pitch-corrected file.

I'm not much of a programmer, but it seems like there are libraries to
do most of the necessary functions, with probably the hardest thing
being the real-time updating of the FFT display. Seems like it could
be a useful little tool.

Also, I found a free VST autotuner for Windows called gsnap that seems
to be pretty cool. If you have VST working in linux you might be able
to use it:

http://www.gvst.co.uk/gsnap.htm

-spencer