[linux-audio-user] Re: Do I need a preamp for the SoundBlaster Live?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Sep 20 22:14:32 EDT 2006

To the original poster:
The fact that you're using a SM58 and a SB Live indicates that you're on
the cost-effective side of things. If the signal level is strong enough,
then you don't need a preamp, nor do you need to change your sound card.

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 00:07 +0200, Carlo Capocasa wrote:

> However, since you are willing to invest in a pre-amp, you might want to
> consider getting a sound card that is geared at pro recording, that
> INCLUDES a pre-amp. This is the path I have chosen, full analog signal
> chain integration (tm).

Full analog signal bullsh**.
"Pro recording" and cards with integrated mic preamps do not mix. That's
bang-for-the-buck amateur recording, not "pro".

There are three reasons to get a mic preamp:

1. The signal is too low for the existing card
This is the most obvious reason. This situation can also be remedied by
a card with an integrated preamp, if the quality requirements are not
too high.
If the signal is strong enough and you're satisfied NOW with the
quality, then you don't need a mic preamp, obviously.

2. Sound quality
The majority of the preamps integrated in sound cards are in the low end
of the quality spectrum. The best ones are somewhere in the midrange.
There is no high-end mic preamp integrated with a sound card, unless you
include in the "sound card" category some multichannel mixing consoles
connected digitally to a workstation (and even then some of them are
pretty average when it comes to their integrated mic preamps).
If you're not satisfied with the quality of the integrated preamp, and
you're sure it's the preamp (not the mic, not something else), then it's
time to shop around.

3. Another reason, perhaps more subtle, is related to compression. In
the majority of cases, you want to perform some compression on anything
captured by a mic.
Doing compression in the analog chain, before the signal hits the
digital domain, allows you to use the full resolution of your digital
channel, which otherwise would be wasted on high-amplitude peaks which
need to be trimmed off anyway, and allows you to easily fend off digital
clipping which is awful and must be avoided at all costs.
That's why, in a decent setup, you will often see a compressor between
the mic preamp and the sound card, configured for very gentle and
transparent compression.
That's also the reason why many mic preamps include compressors.
There's really no digital workaround for this issue. If you're already
hitting that kind of quality ceiling, you must separate the preamp /
compression stages from the digital chain.

That being said, for amateur recording, cards with integrated mic
preamps are fine. Careful with clipping and you're going to be OK. Most
amateurs are in this situation.
Just don't bring the pro domain into this discussion, please.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/