[linux-audio-user] Realtime kernel does not boot

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 12:29:16 EDT 2006

On 9/22/06, Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas at gmx.net> wrote:
<SNIP>

> So, if you think the kernel has a problem, run your setup without the closed
> source driver. If the problem can be reproduced -> Great, you found a bug
> that can be fixed. If it cannot be reproduced -> too bad, it seems your
> closed source driver might be faulty -> report to the closed source driver
> author.
>
> I hope this clears the issue up a bit..
>
> Regards,
> Flo

OK. To make you guys happy I rebuilt 2.6.18-rt3 with radeon and DRI
support turned on. The kernel did not boot. It hung immediately saying
it couldn't find the hard drive.

That's the only change I made.

Interesting....

NOTE: I'm no programmer. I understand your description above, but I
also understand the description of others who say since the interface
portion that goes between the kernel and the binary portion compiles
OK then it's OK to use the ATI Driver. Clearly there are differing
opinions out there and no reason for stupid simpleton me to know who's
right and who's wrong. Please excuse my technical ignorance. Note
however that there is *no* debate that there are Open Source zealots
all over these lists who revel in telling people they are simply
*wrong* for using closed source drivers no matter what the reason.
Again, there is no way for me to know where anyone comes down on that
subject unless they make their person views known.

NOTE 2: Back on 2.6.17-rt5 (since it does boot) I see
**significantly** less CPU usage with the Open Source Radeon driver
than with the ATI driver. (9% vs. 90%) After rebuilding my AMD64
machine with gcc-4.1.1 the CPU usage in MythTV went through the roof.
I had wondered if it had anything to do with the ATI driver and was
thinking about trying the radeon driver this weekend. It's done now
and nice to have it lower again with the radeon driver. I also see
lower frame rate from the close source driver but I can live with
that.

- Mark