[LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty -- music is just one path

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Apr 5 07:26:46 EDT 2007

Marcos Guglielmetti wrote:
> El Mié 04 Abr 2007 10:04, Ismael Valladolid Torres escribió:
>  | Marcos Guglielmetti escribe:
>  | > Maybe noise is beauty... I dont know... the sounds of the ocean are like
>  | > noice, just like the wind too... I think this is beautiful, but, because
>  | > I dont like the car's, bus, planes, trains, etc., sounds, I think there
>  | > is almost no beauty into the industrial age sounds (factories, etc.)
>  | >
>  | > So... when I try to make what I call music, I try to put some beauty on
>  | > it... maybe a wind sound could be nice for some parts, but I will try to
>  | > include melodies because the occidental's traditional concepts are into
>  | > my life, my feelings.
>  | >
>  | > it's a long subject...
>  | But it's a nice one.
>  | Masami Akita from Merzbow says: "If by noise you mean uncomfortable
>  | sound, then pop music is noise to me".
>
> Almost all of our contemporary music is a product of "the noise age", the
> industrial age... it is electrical based music, it could not never see the
> light from an agriculture society... it's uncomfortable to be exploded by a
> capitalist... for a worker on a factory , this is really uncomfortable.
>
> Also, it was uncomfortable to be exploded by a feudal lord, or to be an slave
> in Rome or in any society...
>
> I think that there is a relationship between the production modal of an age
> and the music produced into this age... this is the most noisy age, I think,
> because of the production mode: our ears were educated into a city
> environment, not into an agriculture one, so maybe we have a tendency to need
> louder songs, noisy instruments... here, the electric and distorted guitar is
> the Queen, and the cello could be only a pawn.

You haven't heard one of Rasputina's cellos going through guitar-type
processing equipment.

When I was playing professionally, I used to run the output of my
Hammond organ through a guitar volume control pedal, then into an
old-style wahwah pedal, then out to the amp. Combined with the
flexibility of tone adjustment that the Hammond drawbars gave me, I had
tones that were indistinguishable from an electric guitar.

And in terms of dynamic sound, a full pipe organ is far louder than any
other instrument.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com