[LAU] Been Busy

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Thu Apr 5 18:13:03 EDT 2007

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:10:43 +0200
Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ at freenet.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 10:23:35PM +0100, Folderol wrote:
> >
> > http://www.musically.me.uk/updates.html
>

> Many of your tracks are a sugar overdose for my taste, but
> you already know the exceptions ;)

You may find the one I'm currently working on more to your taste then :)

.. only really an outline so far :(

> Steady Eddie is pretty cool. The organ could be more tight
> in places, but on the other hand it's good it's so very
> human. Less reverb would be more here. Drums could have
> more presence (you could try the short route of feeding
> them through Barry's Satan Maximizer, mwahaha :)
>
> Not that you should go out and clone someone else's style,
> but chiptune drums (reminiscent of C64, Atari ...) could
> work very well here. I also had to think of Apollo 440.

This one is difficult to alter although I've given it some thought. The
perc track and some of the voices are from my SY35 in 'multi' mode.
Effects such as reverb are applied to the whole multi not individual
voices. Also the Yamaha drumkit is not GM, so a translation would be
quite a lot of effort - hence an earlier comment of mine on here about
drum track conversions.

I will probably look at it again sometime, but also - as you picked up
- wanting to preserve the realtime playing.

For anyone who is interested.

Astute listeners will note that there are actually 4 organ parts which
I couldn't possibly have played all the same time!

What I actually did was to set my left hand on 'auto mode' doing the
12 bar pattern. Once I had that settled for a few patterns I played
the main right hand part against it. Apart from a few bum notes, the
only editing I had to do was to remove the early 'synchronising' bars.

This was also done against a metronome - something I *really* hate
doing.

I then multi-tracked in the bass part along with the final descant
right-hand part in the last pattern.

With the organ settled, I patched in the percussion - part played part
step-time. Next was rhythm guitar, played, looped and heavily edited -
Eddie was convinced I was having a go at him with that :)

Finally I added the synth fill, entirely in step-time.

--
Will J G