[LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty--musicisjustone path

Chuck Martin dsdhpnw02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Apr 6 01:49:15 EDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 12:37:28AM -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> On 4/6/07, Chuck Martin <dsdhpnw02 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
> >No equal tempered scale will have any of those ratios, exactly, except
> >for the octave.  Just tunings will have some of those ratios, exactly,
> >buy only in certain keys, because it's impossible to have all fifths or
> >all thirds perfect, for example.
>
> Well, it is impossible if you are using a fixed-pitch instrument.
> With talented singers, it's almost impossible to have any fifth or
> third not perfect.

That's true, but they adjust their pitch subconciously to harmonize with
the other singers.

That brings to mind an interesting thought.  With most electronic
keyboards being software-based, it seems it would be a simple matter for
the software to analyze what notes are being played, and adjust the notes
for perfect harmony in the same way those singers do.  I wonder if that's
ever been done.  Does anyone know?

Chuck