[LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty--musicisjustone path

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 03:27:33 EDT 2007

On 4/6/07, Brad Fuller <brad at sonaural.com> wrote:
> Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> > Well, it is impossible if you are using a fixed-pitch instrument.
> > With talented singers, it's almost impossible to have any fifth or
> > third not perfect.
>
> Do understand you here. Do you mean that talented singers can only sing
> perfect fifths or thirds? Or that talented singers can't?
> I know quite a few singers (talented) that can sing whatever you put in
> front of them.

Primarily I was trying to say that singers of any caliber are not
limited by tempered scales.  In addition I was trying to say that
singers with any kind of ear are going to have a hard time singing a
fifth of 700 cents, or a major third of exactly 400 cents.  Benade's
studies showed that very good musicians, even those who swore by
12-tone ET, when presented with sine tones 400 cents apart, identified
them as being slightly sharp thirds.  Which they are.  But it means
that extreme conditioning to 12-tone ET does not make one recognize it
as more in tune than just intervals.  Of course there are a few
musicians out there, including singers, who devote lots of study to
12-tone serialism etc, but I'd have to see some hard data before being
convinced that they hit 400-cent thirds and 700-cent fifths perfectly.

-Chuckk

--
http://www.badmuthahubbard.com