[LAU] ADAT blackface and RME DIGI 32/8

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Apr 7 07:58:24 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 11:12 +0200, Johan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get some older equipment to work with Linux.
> Specifically an ADAT blackface and a RME DIGI 32/8 card. Is this
> possible?
>
> My problem is that the red error led on my card does not stop
> glowing when I attach the digital out from my ADAT to the digital in
> on the soundcard. Drivers appears to be recognised and I can chose
> between different input methods in GNOMES mixer applet.

you need to set the clock sync up. one of the two devices has to be the
master, one has to be a slave. there are GUIs to do this for later RME
devices, but for the DIGI 32/8, you are stuck (i think) with editing
text files or using the low level amixer command. i don't know what
mixer element (switch) needs toggling. i would suggest using the RME as
the master and the Alesis as the slave, but it doesn't matter much
either way.

>  I have heard
> that I need to send some audio from the computer before the ADAT
> sends a valid clock signal, but how can I do that when the card
> refuses to work without a valid input signal?

thats not true.