[LAU] Foul Language

Rob lau at kudla.org
Sun Apr 8 10:42:55 EDT 2007

On Sunday 08 April 2007 03:51, David Baron wrote:
> Enjoy Zappa. This does not mean using cheap or foul language
> in a public forum about Linux and music which has members of
> all ideas and backgrounds, does it?

Don't try to equate "cheap" language, as you call it, with foul
language.  It's bad enough that I have to double check what I
write on lists like these to make sure I haven't dropped the
F-bomb without thinking about it.  I'd have to censor the names
of some of my own songs just to mention them here, if I had been
all-Linux when I did them.  So if I want to say something sucks,
especially if I have constructive suggestions for dealing with
its suckiness, I damn well will.  Everyone else should feel free
to do the same.

I personally value the presence of people who may use "cheap"
language more than the presence of those who object to it, so
maybe you and the rest of the hand-wringers should update your
NetNanny block list or something.  The reality is, while there
may be a preponderance of CS types and academics here, there are
also a lot of musicians, and we musicians tend to be both
eccentric and "cheap".

So now we have a meta thread about an off-topic thread.  Lovely.
Can we get another meta thread going on top of this one?

Rob