[LAU] Thinkpad R60 for Audio Update - Firewire Conflicts with Audio

Spencer Russell spencer.f.russell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 11:33:38 EDT 2007

On 4/10/07, Dmitry Baikov <dsbaikov at gmail.com> wrote:
> PCMCIA is great for latency. That "extra" PCI bridge does NOT affect
> audio latency.
> Firewire latencies are bigger than PCI/PCMCIA and will always be. Ask
> Pieter Palmers for details.
>
> So if you are for low latency, PCI/PCMCIA is unbeatable.
> If you want numbers, I can provide them for Echo Indigo IO and RME MultifaceII.
> Ask somebody to jdelay their Firewire card.

Is anybody using a firewire card through a PCMCIA adpter? I hesitate
to use a firewire card because I want something that's bus-powered,
but this laptop only has a 4-pin firewire. I'm leaning perhaps to the
Edirol UA-25, but the presonus Firebox is 4in/6out instead of 2in/2out
(Analog) so if it's not a problem to run it through a PCMCIA firewire
card then I think that's what I would go with. Both seem to have
decent Linux support, as far as I can tell.

-spencer